Parmenides



In my most humble review of Parmenides I can only say one thought: that I have no thoughts. Parmenides overtly concerned himself with what-is yet could not shake his awareness of/obsession with what-is not. Philosophers before him had interest in the metaphysical questions and (admittedly) he did too. He appeals to a Homeric view then rejects everything on face value. The assumptions made by previous philosophers were suddenly wrong. And I just find it hard to have thoughts about a viewpoint in which I must only be concerned about what-is when what-is not keeps getting brought up. Now my only thoughts are what are Parmenides thoughts on what-is not, but I don’t know those. So I watched this video:

And suddenly I find a tune in Parmenides. I still don’t have any thoughts but at least I know where he’s coming from.

Comments