Heraclitus aka the "Sticker"


I’d like to coin Heraclitus the “sticker” of ancient Greek thinkers. For those who don’t know, a sticker is formally known as a grass bur. They are these little grass weeds with spines, barbed, and can be found in yards, fields, parks, and pretty much anywhere you can think. They’re called stickers because if they get on your clothes or skin the tiny barbs literally make it stick to you. And if by some unlucky fortune you’ve landed in a pile of them, you wouldn’t be able get them off you in one swift motion, no you’d be face with the uncomfortable truth of them and you’d have to put effort into removing each one. This is what Heraclitus did to me with one line.

“The wise is one alone, both unwilling and willing to be called by the name of Zeus.”

An interesting point Dr. Schultz brought up during class discussion made me uncomfortable, as all things contrary to my reality would. She applied Heraclitus’ logic to Christianity and in pointing out the similarities proposed if a Christian God would be both unwilling and willing to be called different names perhaps, Yahweh or Allah. I’d have to say I think she was onto something. For when Heraclitus is portraying this I think he ultimately wanted us to get at in attempts to name God we inherently limit our perspective of God, and how can you limit the infinite? That’s a sticker if I ever heard one.


Comments

  1. That is a great image to describe Heraclitus. I think you get the main thrust of his thought.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment